Q and A Credentialing

Q. What is the process for becoming EI Credentialed?

A. Review the specific credential requirements of the discipline in which you wish to become credentialed before submitting an application. This information may be found within the EI Credential Application and also on the new credential page.  If you meet the minimum educational requirements and have completed at least the Online portion of System Overview Training, you may submit your application.

Provider Connections will review applications within 10 days of receipt. If all requirements are met, the applicant will receive an email with a form to take to an Illinois State Police approved LiveScan Vendor to have digital fingerprints taken for a Criminal History Background Check. Provider Connections will send the Child Abuse and Neglect Tracking System (CANTS) to the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services for processing. This may take up to 12 weeks. The applications will be put “In Process.” Once all background checks are cleared, documentation for System Overview Follow-Up Training is received, and IMPACT enrollment is approved (if needed), the credential will be issued.

Q. How soon will I hear about the status of my application?

A. Providers usually receive a response via email regarding their application status within 2 weeks of Provider Connections receiving the application. You may also check the status by clicking on the “Credential Search” feature at https://www.providerconnections.org/public/home.mvc and searching by name.

Q. Is EI credentialing mandatory in the state of Illinois to see a child birth to 3?

A. To provide services in the Part C Early Intervention Program through the Illinois Department of Human Services, a person must hold a current Illinois Early Intervention credential.

Q. Do I need continuing education hours during my temporary credential?

A. No, unless you need to meet Core Knowledge Hours as a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, Service Coordinator, Social Work Assistant, Psychology Assistant, or Counseling Assistant.

Q. What are done with application materials when an application is denied for some reason?

A. Applications are kept at Provider Connections unless the application was returned to the applicant for some reason. Typically applicants receive an email from Provider Connections noting the deficiencies. Just the missing items need to be returned to Provider Connections, not another entire application unless more than one year passes from the date of application.

Q. Does a provider have to see a certain number of EI children in a certain timeframe to remain credentialed?

A. Providers must receive at least one authorization/bill the EI CBO for services every 12 months to remain credentialed. If no services are provided and billed for every 12 months, providers are subject to being exited from the system due to inactivity.

Q. I received an email regarding no authorizations, no claims. What do I need to do?

A. If you are notified that you have been inactivated for non-participation, the email will notify you for what payee you have been inactivated for. If you have no other open payees, then you will also be notified that your credential was placed on inactivate status. You must have an active payee to allow your credential to remain open. If at anytime you would like to provide services again, you will need the following:

  • A CFC Manager must email the Project Director at Provider Connections, indicating there is a need for your services and they have authorizations ready to issue to you.
  • The CBO forms to reactivate your enrollment and open your credential back up.
  • Meet any credential requirements to maintain your credential.

Q. How do I let the CFCs know that I am available to see kids? Is there a form that I need to fill out and let them know that I am certified with EI?

A. Once you have received an EI Credential and have confirmed you are enrolled with the EI Central Billing Office (Specialist only), you should contact the CFC(s) for which you will be taking referrals. CFC(s) may request more information from you such as a vita or resume. A listing of CFC Offices is located on on the Child and Family Connections webpage on Provider Connection’s website.

Q. I want to take a break from providing EI services. What is the best way for me to do this concerning EI?

A. If you have decided to not provide EI Services for an extended period, you should inactivate your credential by emailing/faxing Provider Connections a letter asking to place your credential on inactive status and the effective date. You will not be responsible for participating in or documenting Ongoing Professional Development Meetings during the time of inactivation.